Posts filed under ‘Comments’

Drastic change

Four inches and almost 20 pounds. I can prove it, take a look……

IMG_6134

Advertisements

July 1, 2013 at 5:59 PM Leave a comment

Lifestyle change

One of the benefits of cardio rehab that I didn’t mention in my past posts was not only was eating healthy and exercising regularly but I started to loose weight and started to look much healthier. Since I started getting serious about this lifestyle change I have lost almost 20 pounds and 4 inches. Check out the pictures below of the changes just in my face. Drastic!

I still have another 10 or so pounds to go to get to my goal weight but I am on my way. I even bought a golf shirt to wear when I reach that goal weight. When you see me wear it you know I reached my goal!

The first picture is just before I started eating healthy in January, the second is of me right after I got out of the hospital and the last was a few weeks ago when I was on a Daddy-daughter-date with Faith.

July 1, 2013 at 5:32 PM 2 comments

Cardio rehab journal Week 18

I know it has been a long time since I have posted about my recovery and I apologize, lots of crazy things have happened in my life since my last post over 18 weeks ago. So I thought I would do a recap on what has happened for the past 18 weeks. Take a look and hopefully you will feel informed. Oh and by the way, thanks for all your prayers they have meant so much!

Week 2: on Mar 11 I had my very first cardiologist appointment and he said I was on the road to recovery. He was very happy with the EKG results and told me the next step was to meet with a case manager for my rehab program. At that time he was still baffled as to how I ever had the heart attack in the first place. I wasn’t a likely candidate, he said. On Mar 12 I finally went back to work on a part time basis. I worked for 3 hours, then took a short break, then another 3 hours. I eventually worked my way up to my usual 8 to 1o hours a day. Then On Mar 15 I had my second class where I learned about cardiovascular disease, angina, and of course heart attacks. We even learned a little bit about lifestyle changes and how they can save our lives. I learned a great deal. It was then I vowed to make these drastic changes so this would never happen to me again.

Week 3: on Mar 22 I learned about stress management and hope to cope with stress. Again I learned a lot. But what I thought was quite funny was at the end of the class the instructor gave us an option to listen to New Age music and practice breathing. Of course I opted out. The fourth class was taught by a nutritionist. This was probably the most informative to me and I took lots of notes. I love that not only did we learn about what to eat (and not to eat) but how much! That was so helpful and I have stuck to that rule since I learned it. Oh I didn’t mention what the rule was, it is you should eat 2 to 3 servings of meat a day (no more) and a serving is the size of the palm of your hand. I ate sometimes 5 times more than that. So helpful! Also on Mar 22 I had my first stress test to find out whether I was ready to start exercising and what fitness level I was at.

Week 5: on Apr 4 I started my very first exercise class. I met with my case manager and she accessed all my tests including my stress test and then introduced me to my exercise instructor who would be my task master for the next 16 weeks. My exercise instructor’s name is Robin, she walked me through my program then got me going right away. Oh by the way, I found out from my stress test that my fitness level is at the level of an athletes. I couldn’t believe it because I haven’t played any organized sports for over 15 years. So guess what, Robin pushed me hard right from the beginning. Yikes!

Week 6-9: starting on Apr 11 I started my workout routine which consisted of 10 minutes on the treadmill at 3 m/h then 30 minutes on the treadmill at 4 m/h. Then another 20 minutes of strength training with a resistance band. Eventually I bought I resistance band for home.

Week 10-13: on May 30 I had completed 10 weeks of exercises, only 6 more weeks to go. It was at this time that I started to do a 40 minute walk each morning (Mon to Fri) and to do the strength training exercises I had learned at rehab. After each work out I was really starting to feel energized. And get this, I enjoyed it. It was also a great time to be all alone and listen to music. Many time I was pray for most of the walk.

Week 14-18: on Jun 27 I had completed 14 weeks of exercises. Also on that day Robin came up to me and started asking me all kinds of questions. Finally I asked her what was going on and she told me we have to booked my final stress test, it is soon time to graduate. I have to admit I was kinda bummed because I was really starting to enjoy my time each Thursday with the guys besides who I exercised with each week. We had started to become friends. But I was also very happy to know I would soon be fully recovered.

My stress test is booked for July 11 at 9:15am and this week coming up I have to get blood work…more poking. And you all know how much I look forward to that. Uggh! Please pray. That should catch you up.

July 1, 2013 at 5:18 PM Leave a comment

Musical couple

If you haven’t see this yet you got to listen. In my opinion the husband takes the show. It is very entertaining and the husband is hilarious. He actually sings “Living on a free tank of gas” to Bon Jovi’s “Living on a Prayer!” They are also very talented. There is a second video clip where they are actually on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno and sing with the band. You would think they were pros. Just go to You Tube and type in pumpcast news. The name of the video is Pumpcast News, part 3 – The Tonight Show with Jay Leno.¬†Enjoy.

May 17, 2013 at 8:48 PM Leave a comment

20,000 hits = 20,000 thank you’s

20000-thank-yousWow, we did it! Because of each of you visiting my blog so often we made it to a pretty big milestone in less that 3 years. So not only is this a post to say “we did it” but also to say “thank you!”

20,000 hits equals 20,000 thank you’s.

February 19, 2013 at 1:40 PM 2 comments

Pokes

If you know me, you know I hate needles. Let’s put it another way. I faint at the idea of a needle and at the sight of one. Well, at least I used to.

Going back to my chest pains story you know I had a number of needles this past few days. 24 to be exact! And every time I need to lay down and look away so I wouldn’t faint. But I never did. Even in the most painful times, I just laid down and grit my teeth and let the nurses poke me.

If you get queasy at the thought of needles then don’t read any further…

Today before I left for home the nurse was told to poke me one last time, which was my 24th poke. So she proceeded to look for a vein and of course, couldn’t find one. Eventually she tried to poke me, but no blood, it just hurt. Then she turned my hand over did the inside of my wrist. That hurt! A lot! And it took forever! But I didn’t faint!

I am so glad that is all over now!!!

February 14, 2013 at 3:15 PM 2 comments

People are awesome!

I just watched this video and I had to share it with you. Some pretty crazy things people can do!

January 25, 2013 at 12:07 AM 1 comment